Founder and organizer of the festival
ANIMAFILM International Animation Festival was founded in 2018 in Baku, Azerbaijan.
The founder and organizer of the festival ANIMAFILM is the Limited Liability Company PERI FILM (TIN 2004815851). Address: 5th building, house 2A, 2934th quarter, Sadıqcan str., apt.24, Khatai district, Baku, AZ1026, Azerbaijan
The status of the festival
III ANIMAFILM will be held from October 14 to October 18, 2020 in Baku, Azerbaijan.
The festival ANIMAFILM sets itself the following goals:
- To promote the development of animation art in Azerbaijan.
- To create a platform to screen animated films and exchange experiences between local and foreign animation film professionals.
- To promote the production of new Azerbaijani animated films.
- To promote the creation of potential international co-productions.
Management of the preparation and holding of the ANIMAFILM festival is carried out by the Organizing Committee, headed by the festival director. The structure of the Organizing Committee is formed by the director of the festival.
The festival program includes a competition program, a non-competition program, a program for professionals and an accompanying program.
The Organizing Committee determines the program and the order of screenings of animated films at the festival. The festival has the right to unlimited presentation of films and screenplays included in the program without the written permission of the film's producer, its authorized representative and the owner of the rental rights.
On 15 of September, 2020 the program will be published on the website of the festival www.animafilm.az.
The competition program includes the following categories: Azerbaijani competition:
- Best Azerbaijani Screenplay for a Short Animated Film (up to 6000 characters)
- Best Azerbaijani Short Animated Film (up to 20 minutes)
- Best Short Animated Film (up to 20 minutes) - GRAND PRIX
- Best Feature Animated Film (over 60 minutes) - GRAND PRIX
- Best Screenplay for a Short Animated Film (up to 6000 characters) - GRAND PRIX
- Best Short Animated Film for Children (up to 10 minutes)
- Best Short Animated Film Made by Children (up to 5 minutes)
- Best Short Experimental or Abstract Animated Film (up to 5 minutes)
- Best Short Student Animated Film (up to 15 minutes)
- Best Animated TV series (up to 12 minutes)
- Best Animated Music Video (up to 5 minutes)
- Audience Award
Non-competition program is compiled by the Organizing Committee and consists of the following sections:
- Thematic shows - this section is devoted to the main theme of the festival ANIMAFILM. In 2020 the theme of the festival is "French Animation".
- Retrospectives - the festival will hold a retrospective of the author, who was awarded the prize "For contribution to the Azerbaijani animation". Other retrospectives can be devoted to genres, certain animation techniques, animation schools, etc.
- Children's program - this section will present national and foreign animated films provided for the children's audience.
The professional program is compiled by the Organizing Committee and includes:
- Business meetings on topical issues of modern animation, at which professionals intend to conduct an interactive discussion with the participation of representatives of the media and fans of animation films.
- Lectures and seminars of professionals on the theme of animation.
The accompanying program may include exhibitions, concerts, creative meetings and other events related to the art of animation films. In 2020, as a novelty, excursions to the regions of Azerbaijan will be organised for local and foreign guests in frameworks of the accompanying program.
Conditions for accepting of animated films for participation in the competition program
To participate at the festival III ANIMAFILM you need to fill submit your film or screenplay through FilmFreeway platform from January 28 to June 30, 2020 inclusive.
The film must comply with the following conditions:
- The film must be shot after January 1, 2019.
- More than 50% of the film must be an animation. There are no limitations in the animation techniques used in the film.
- One film can only participate in one category.
- Copyright of competitive films are regulated by international law. The participant (director, producer or other authorized person) who provides an animated film, declares that he is the copyright owner of the film and is authorized to screen the film at the festival.
III ANIMAFILM Baku International Animation Festival accepts entries on FilmFreeway, the world's biggest festival platform.
In 2020 symbolic submission fee should be paid via FilmFreeway internet platform by foreign participants.
There is no submission fee for local participants in the categories of Best Azerbaijani Screenplay for a Short Animated Film and Best Azerbaijani Short Animated Film.
In 2020, a participant can send an unlimited number of works to the festival.
The Selection Panel has the right to independently determine works submitted for the festival in a particular program, category or section, not notifying the participant in advance.
All the films of the contest program will be shown in the original language with Azerbaijani or English subtitles.
On August 31, 2020, the Selection Panel will announce films and screenplays chosen for participation in the contest program on the official website of the festival www.animafilm.az. The Organizing Committee will also inform the authors about the results of the selection and ask them to provide additional materials for the festival catalog (photos, information on the films, etc.)
The participant (director, producer or other authorized person) cannot recall the film from the participation of the ANIMAFILM festival after the film’s screening was officially announced on the website of the festival www.animafilm.az.
The conditions for accepting screenplays for participation in the festival
To participate in the category "The best original screenplay for a short animated film" of the competition program of the ANIMAFILM festival, you need to submit your film or screenplay through FilmFreeway platform from March 28 to June 30, 2020 inclusive. The script must comply with the following conditions:
- The script should be written after January 1, 2019.
- The script should be written specifically for a short animated film.
- The text of the script should not exceed 6000 characters.
- The screenplay should be in English or Azerbaijani languages.
- Copyright of competitive screenplays are regulated by international law. The participant (screenwriter or other authorized person) who provides a screenplay, declares that he is the copyright owner of the screenplay and is authorized to submit the screenplay at the festival.
The participant of the festival (director, producer or other authorized person), sending a film for the festival selection ANIMAFILM, agrees that the Organizing Committee has the right to:
- Unlimited number of public screenings of an animated film during 2020-2021 at all festival events, as well as other events in Azerbaijan and abroad.
- Unlimited number public readings of a screenplay during 2020-2021 at all festival events, as well as other festivals and events in Azerbaijan and abroad.
- Use of parts of an animated film in the ANIMAFILM TV (a online platform created by ANIMAFILM festival), festival promos, festival website and internet platforms (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube etc.), documentary films about the festival, television reports about the festival and other audiovisual products aimed at disseminating information on the festival.
- To publish a trailer of an animated film on the website of the festival and internet platforms (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube etc.).
- Use of shots and characters in the festival promotional materials (festival catalog, festival website, festival promo products etc.).
- Create Azerbaijani and English subtitles or/and dubbing for the animated film.
- Store animated film in the archive of the festival.
The Organizing Committee appoints a Selection Panel consisting of independent professionals working in the field of animation and arts. Members of the Organizing Committee can be members of the Selection Panel. The Panel selects films and screenplays for the competition and other programs among the works submitted for selection. The decisions of the Selection Panel are final. The Selection Panel reserves the right not to explain the reason for the refusal and not to comment.
The international jury is elected by the Organizing Committee.
International Jury selects the best films in all categories, except of Best Short Animated Film for Children and categories of screenplay competition.
Special Children’s Jury selects the winner in the category of Best Short Animated Film for Children. The age of the children should be between 7 years to 17 years.
The winners in the categories of screenplay competition is selected by special jury for screenplays.
The winner of the Audience Award will be determined by audience, who can vote after each screening. Audience can only vote for the films that are included to the competition program. All members of the Organizing Committee, the Selection Panel, Jury, the festival team, volunteers, all festivals guests, participants and regular audience has right to vote.
The Jury cannot include members of the Organizing Committee, the Selection Panel or people, who participated in the creation of animated films, which participate if the competition program.
All members of the Jury, members of the Organizing Committee and the Selection Panel undertake to refrain from public statements about the contest films before the closing of the festival.
The Organizing Committee and Selection Panel may attend the discussions of the Jury, but they do not have the right to vote.
The Jury awards the "Golden Boat" diploma prize for the best film in each category.
Organizing Committee of the festival awards a special sculpture-award Golden Boat for Contribution to Azerbaijani Animation.
NOTE: The Golden Boat sculpture-award for Contribution to Azerbaijani Animation was awarded to Masud Panachi in 2018, and to Frangiz Kurbanova and Elchin Hami Akhundov in 2019.
The "Audience Award" is awarded based on the results of the audience vote. Counting of votes is carried out under the guidance of the Organizing Committee of the festival.
The 3rd ANIMAFILM festival does not provide for cash prizes. During the organization of the festival, the Organizing Committee reserves the right to change this decision. In addition, the Organizing Committee has the right to allow sponsors to establish their own prizes.
Guests and participants of the festival
Organizers of the festival ANIMAFILM in 2020 do not incur expenses of local or foreign guests and participants of the festival. During the organization of the festival, the Organizing Committee reserves the right to change this decision regarding certain guests.
This regulation is written in Azerbaijani and English on January 27, 2020. In case of issues related to the interpretation of the text, the Azerbaijani version of the regulation remains decisive.
Participation in the festival ANIMAFILM implies the unconditional acceptance of the conditions and rules set out in this regulation. Any issues and disputes that arose during the preparation and holding of the festival will be decided by the organizer of the festival and in accordance with the current legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan.